Living in a bustling city like Austin can be stressful for adults. At Gate Healing, PLLC, we understand the unique challenges that adults face, and we’re here to help. Whether you’re dealing with financial stress, relationship struggles, parenting issues, or anything else that’s weighing on you, we are here to provide the support and guidance you need to feel better.
Maintaining healthy relationships is a universal challenge, whether it’s a platonic friendship, romantic relationship, or a family relationship. At Gate Healing, PLLC, we understand the importance of having a support system to help navigate through these challenges. We offer individual counseling for those who prefer to work on themselves before starting counseling with a loved one or for those who need support while in a relationship.
Teenagers in Austin often need a supportive and understanding adult to talk to who is not a close friend or parent. Teenagers particularly appreciate Jonathan’s relaxed conversation style. Jonathan has worked at every level of development, providing play therapy for young children, managing on-campus therapy and outreach services for middle and high school students and their families.
What can I expect from Individual Counseling?
- Honesty without judgment
- Professionalism balanced with a casual, approachable style
- Referrals, if needed
Can I bring my spouse or partner?
- Yes, as a Gottman Method couples counselor, I can do both individual and couples counseling with a couple. However, I do not require couples to see me as an individual therapist.
Can I have more than one counselor at a time?
- It’s usually a good idea to stick with one counselor to avoid confusion, but there are times when concurrent therapy can be helpful. In that case, both counselors will usually want to check in with each other to coordinate your care.
Does getting counseling or therapy mean I’m mentally ill?
- No, most people seek counseling and therapy for support and guidance with challenging situations. Even if there is a diagnosable mental health issue, they are usually manageable with counseling and lifestyle changes.
What is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy looks at your thought patterns and what kind of behaviors they lead to. Positive outcomes encourage a healthier thought-behavior set, while negative outcomes create discomfort to deter unhelpful thoughts and behaviors.
How does Mindfulness-based counseling help?
- Mindfulness-based counseling teaches you to be aware, or mindful, of your thoughts and feelings with less negativity and judgment. This allows you to make more effective decisions and see yourself and your situation from an objective perspective.
What is strength-based counseling?
- Strength-based counseling focuses on your natural strengths to help you find solutions to the problems you are facing. We will look at what you have already done that seems to have worked well, then build on that. When you need to improve skills that haven’t worked, we will create an action plan for you to follow.
Learn more about Mindfulness Practice: Mindfulness Articles
Jonathan F. Anderson, LPC-s has worked in the helping profession since he started college in 1990. After completing his Bachelor’s degree at the University of Texas, Austin in 1994, he attended the highly-regarded University of Minnesota to earn his Master’s degree in 1997. He is a Licensed Professional Counselor and is recognized as a Board Approved Supervisor by the State of Texas Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors. Jonathan has completed Level-2 of the Gottman Method of Couples Counseling, and in 1998 received training by the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation in Advanced Critical Incident Stress Management & Debriefing. To learn more about Jonathan’s practice, click here: Jonathan F. Anderson, LPC-s.